I have been doing this for over ten years and am unique in providing this level of service in the midwest. Committed to the best possible analog performance at almost any budget level, I have the tools and knowledge to apply them for your benefit and listening enjoyment.
The service usually takes between 3 and 4 hours to do, not counting time to and from your home. I don't time myself, though. I just get it as perfect as humanly possible. Read the testimonials.
The cost is $300 within 50 miles of Barrington, Illinois, plus $5 per additional 5 mile increment and any tolls and parking costs. Beyond a one day round trip, other reasonable travel expenses apply. Not inexpensive but as serious as it gets, and a deal that cannot be beat.
If the cost of the Ultimate Setup is too much you can opt for the Standard Setup for $100 (plus any mileage, etc. from Barrington), which includes the bold items below. If your turntable system is worth $2000 or more I highly recommend the Ultimate Setup.
Referrals: Once you have had the Ultimate Setup service done, for each friend you refer for the same service you will receive $25.
Dealer inquiries invited - contact for info
What the service includes
- Leveling the turntable
- Setting overhang and offset angle using the Acoustical Systems SMARTractor
- Setting vertical tracking force
- Setting antiskating
- Azimuth adjustment by measurement of phase error and crosstalk
- Platter rotational speed measurement and adjustment for 33 1/3 and 45 RPM. Adjustment for minimum wow and flutter.
- Frequency response
- Resonance and vibration measurement and minimization
- Vertical tracking force optimization
- Cartridge loading optimization
- Phono preamp gain optimization
- Stylus rake angle (SRA) optimization through measurement
- Antiskating optimization through measurement
The SMARTractor's extreme accuracy is due to its precision machining, where at the correct overhang distance the diamond stylus tip drops into a tiny divot in the mirrored surface, much like a golf ball going into the cup.
This photo shows a Lyra Atlas cartridge I set up using the SMARTractor. The stylus is in the divot.
What differences can you expect?
- Better imaging
- Deeper, wider soundstage
- Lower noise and distortion
- Clearer high frequencies
- More tuneful, better defined bass
- Richer tone and harmonics
- Reduced record wear
- Longer stylus life
You will be satisfied
People consistently say this is by far the biggest bang-for-the-buck improvement you can do to your system. I am so confident of that, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is.
You must be absolutely delighted with the results of my setup service, or you don't pay the base fee.